Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Raven Boys


The Raven Boys, Book 1 of The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
Publication Date: September 18, 2012

Young Adult, Ages 13+

ARC copy used for review.

Personal Ranking 4 out of 5


 

 



"This is a story about becoming a man"
Blue Sargent has grown up among the world of the supernatural. Her mother, her mother's friends and housemates are all psychics. But not Blue. She functions as sort of an energy enhancer, making other's talents stronger and more certain. The only other certain thing in her life, as foretold when she was a young girl, Blue will kill her first love. But Blue, has no interest in boys, especially the ones from the exclusive prep school in town. "The raven boys," as she calls them. But, then on St. Mark's Eve she sees her first spirit, a young boy who calls himself Gansey. Then, almost by fate, she meets Gansey and his friends, Adam, Noah and Ronan. Even though her mother has expressly forbidden Blue to have anything to do with him, she finds herself unable to stay away from the group. Caught up in their dangerous quest, Blue begins to question her previous notions and gets is exposed to supernatural things she never thought possible.


First let me just go on record and state that I do like Maggie Stiefvater. I love the Werewolves of Mercy Falls (I just finally got my hands on The Scorpio Races the same day this ARC landed on my desk) and I really enjoy listening to her speak in person. Good storytellers are just that, whether they put pen to paper or just say it out loud. But this story just blew me away. I read so much and watch so much, that sometimes you can just figure out what is going to happen. That did not happen with The Raven Boys, at all. I don't even really want to say to much for fear of spoiling one of the incredible plot twists. Just know that I loved it! 
 
I wanted to finish it last night, but against my better judgement I let my husband talk me into coming to bed. Well, an hour later after tossing and turning, I gave up and took the book back downstairs with me. I couldn't put it down! I am so glad that there is more to follow, but now its time to put patience to the test and wait for the next one.
 
If you love the supernatural and all those things that just can't be explained and are tired of the vampire/zombie craze, introduce yourself to Maggie Steifvater. You won't be disappointed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment